The Log Cabin

Friday, July 2, 2010

Log Cabin Hot Tubs

Hot tubs are a very popular amenity added to log cabins. I am a hot tub fan as I used to own one when I lived in Connecticut. I was replacing my back deck and decided that it was time to add a hot tub platform alongside the new deck. I purchased a ‘Jacuzzi’ model and had the end of the deck built to provide easy access to the hot tub. I wired and installed speakers from my stereo system. The final result was incredible. Our property bordered a river and I immensely enjoyed the scenery and the soothing surge of the hot water complemented by some smooth jazz.

The hot tub was used all year round. I can remember being in the tub in the winter one night. The steam from the tub rose into the air and froze, returning to the tub in the form of snow. It was amazing. On the other hand, make sure you have a warm terry cloth bathrobe ready for your exit from the tub.

Since then, we moved to Georgia and bought property on a ridge in the Blue Ridge Mountains of north Georgia. Although my Connecticut Poquonock River location was quite beautiful, I find the mountains to be even more attractive. I will be building a log cabin and a hot tub will definitely be included. Since my property is on the side of the mountain ridge and my main floor cabin back deck (with the best mountain view) will be well above the ground level, it is unfortunately impractical to install it there. With occupants, a hot can weigh over 5,000 lbs.

The tub will have to be installed at ground level. I will not build another entire deck but rather just another platform with a small adjoining deck on the upper log cabin side of the tub for access. The tub platform will need at least six footing posts. If you are wise, you will err on the side of caution and install more than the minimum. Make sure all the footings are level.

The Jacuzzi hot tub I bought was a premium model that came with a lifetime warranty. I discovered the benefit of the warranty after the first year. The hot tub developed a leak and wouldn’t hold water. However, since it was in the winter, the service outfit couldn’t repair it until the following Spring. It was a log and cold winter.

You also want to be aware of the maintenance requirements. The water needs to be tested and chemicals need to be applied. The water must be sanitized with bromine or chloride. The proper pH level and alkalinity must be also maintained. We also used a defoamer on occasion. The water needs to be drained and replaced every 2-3 months. Based on our experience, if you have children, more frequent maintenance is required.

If you’re building a log cabin, I highly recommend adding a hot tub.

No comments:

Post a Comment